Since 2002, Graduate Assistants United (GAU) has worked to ensure that Graduate Employees have a strong, autonomous voice for economic security, benefits, and quality working conditions at the University of Rhode Island.
GAU represents nearly 600 graduate teaching, research, and administrative assistants at the University of Rhode Island. As an employee of the University, you are entitled to .... As a union, we collectively bargain our contract to ensure that our rights are protected and our contract is as strong as it can possibly be.
What We've Achieved
- Raises for graduate assistants every time we've gone to the negotiating table
- Healthcare benefits, paid for by the university
- Paid sick leave (8 days per year)
- Paid parental leave
- 20% waiver for student fees
- Parking passes for all full time Grad Assistants
- Mileage reimbursement for the use of your vehicle when doing university business
- A robust grievance procedure to protect our contract and our rights as workers
- The right to Academic Freedom- the freedom to teach and research controversial topics without fear of discipline or dismissal